Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I Can't Understand Poetry

Wow, I haven't posted in a long time.
And as it turns out, my first post in almost a month is going to be something as useless as my inability to understand poetry.
But seriously. I can't. It's very...annoying? Not annoying. More like...disappointing? Irritating? I really don't know what word to use here, so let me just explain in further detail...

When reading poetry, people usually have their own interpretation of it. They see a theme or a meaning or a message or a point or an observation about the universe or something.
But really, before I can even start to dissect meanings out of poetry, I have to at least get what the poem is even talking about.
It usually takes me about three rereads before I finally have some kind-of formed understanding on what the subject of the poem is.
And as for pulling themes or messages out of poems, well. I can't do that at all. Of course, I've studied poetry in school, where I completely make up a four-page essay on what I learned from Shakespeare's "Macbeth." (psst...I really learned nothing from his poems/sonnets/plays/literary works, because as mentioned about a million times above I can't understand poetry. Aaaargh).
Okay, this topic isn't actually worth a blog post, but I was thinking about it for so long and I figured I'd better post about something soon, so lo and behold a rather incomplete post about my troubles with poetry. (wow, there were a lot of grammar errors in that sentence. But quite frankly I am way too lazy to fix them).

Anyway....
I have a few posts that I've been working on, but I'm suffering from some horrible writer's block and those post drafts are just sitting there, unfinished.

And since my school starts tomorrow *cries* I probably won't have as much time to blog. In fact, I have some summer homework that I had better finish up lest I start the new school year with a zero.


THE CITY OF BONES MOVIE IS RELEASING TOMORROW ASDFGHJKL I'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG FOR IT OMG
I really can't think of what else to post, so here's a YouTube video that I found very interesting.

--Audrey




1 comment:

  1. Look up 'Alexythimia'. Or it could be related to Schizophrenia...

    ReplyDelete