Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Words/Topics That Make Me Not Pick Up a Book

Eeeek. This is going to be very hard for me, since I always like to try new books. So I'm going to copy the brilliant Emma from Bookworm/Future Author and do a half-and-half. 5 terms that turn me away from books and 5 terms that draw me in! And for once, I'm on time!!
 
Words/topics that make me not pick up a book:
 
1. Horror. I simply cannot read horror, the same way I can't watch horror shows. I'm definitely not the kind of person who enjoys, you know, macabre and all that.
 
2. Graphic novel. I can't read them. At all. Now this is different from picture books--those I can read (not that I read a lot of picture books anymore haha). But those manga novels...I don't know, sometimes I just get completely and utterly confused.
 
3. Romance. This is very important, I don't mean that I dislike books with romance. In fact some of my favorite series have romance: Harry Potter, The Mortal Instruments, Percy Jackson. But a book that is completely centered on romance? Not really my thing.
 
4. Murder Mystery. Ahem, this might qualify as horror, but I can't stand murder mysteries. Not because they're bad--I mean, I know that Agatha Christie writes terrific books. The reason I dislike murder mysteries are they make me scared. I know, I know, I'm a huge coward--but after I read murder mysteries I get all jumpy.
 
5. Poetry. This is kind of a grey area. I get easily bored by poetry, see. I mean, sometimes when a verse or two of poetry is inserted cleverly into a book (like at the beginning of a chapter), it's actually very compelling. But reading continuous long pages of poetry....I just can't get into it.
 
Words/topics that make me pick up a book:
 
1. Magic. Any magic. From Egyptian mythology to Harry Potter wizardry to demon hunting. I love reading books with magic, or supernatural/paranormal elements. Zombies are a huge exception. I dislike zombie books. But I love reading about wizards/witches, or fairies, or mermaids, or... I could go on and on.
 
2. Fairy tale or fairy tale retelling. I absolutely love fairy tales. Grimm, Andersen, you name it. And when it comes to fairy tale retellings, even though I sometimes don't like them, I always have to pick up retellings. Authors like Marissa Meyer do fantastic jobs of fairy tale retellings. I also love books where people go into a fairy-tale land, such as The Sisters Grimm.
 
3. Gymnastics. As a gymnast, I love reading books that show the "insider's view" to a competitive gymnast's life. I absolutely have to pick up gymnastics books--it's just like ingrained in my brain.
 
4. Books. I love books. I immediately am intrigued by books about books. (or book clubs, or bookworms). A book about publishing a book. A book about writing a book. A book about a book club. A book about reading books. Books, books, books!
 
5. Historical fiction with princesses. I love reading books about princesses who lived in earlier eras. Like a fake diary of young Cleopatra, or the fake life of a princess who lived during, say, the Crusades. Princesses are always an intriguing part of literature, combined with fascinating history...love it.
 
--Audrey
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. I really don't like when they adapt regular books to graphic novels :(. I find the pictures annoying...

    I'm actually very open to different themes, just...not...graphic...novels :(. And magic, of course, is one of the best! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! Most regular books don't do well in graphic novel form, and I think people who don't like to read as much would rather pick up the graphic novel over the regular book. And graphic novels just don't do the books justice.

      Yeah, I try to be open to different themes, but when something is labeled under a genre that I've read bad books in, I get sort of biased. I really should change that...

      Of course. Long live magic! :)

      Delete