Saturday, February 1, 2014

/Speechless/

I... I... I...
NOTE: SPOILERS. ONLY READ AHEAD IF YOU HAVE READ ALL HARRY POTTER BOOKS OR DO NOT PLAN ON READING THEM

 (the name is misspelled haha)

-random Dr. Seuss quote to take up space so people who haven't read HP won't see what's below-


Apparently JK Rowling regrets Ron and Hermione's relationship.
Click here to read the original but I'm going to copy-paste it for your convenience.


Rowling says that she should have put Hermione and Harry together in the Harry Potter series instead of Hermione and Ron.

“I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment,” she says. “That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” she continued, “I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I’m absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not.”


Okay, to be totally honest. I was never the biggest fan of "Hermiron" (aw but what a cute ship name haha) in the books, but I never expected JK Rowling to say so. I mean, Hermione and Ron all but hated each other in the first half of the first book, and Hermione seemed to constantly be getting mad at Ron (hehe see the hilarious quotes from Order of the Phoenix especially), which is why I thought it was sort of weird that they got together, but I eventually pretty much just accepted it. And the epilogue of Deathly Hallows was super cute awwh
There are worse couples than Hermione and Ron.

But I wonder what Rowling means when she says "wish fulfillment"? Does she mean her own wishes at that time, or the wishes of the readers?

What do y'all think of JK Rowling saying this? Are you a fan of Hermione and Ron? Sound off in the comments! :)

--Audrey

3 comments:

  1. I love Ron and Hermione together, and from the first book, I always hoped they would get together, and they did! I love how their relationship was rocky at first, and they had their breakouts, but in the end, they were awesome together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I loved that they were sort of rocky and uncertain and bickered a lot in the beginning, but by the end it came together beautifully. :)

      Delete
  2. Wait WHAT?!?!

    I was never the biggest fan of Hermione and Ron, but they weren't awful and the other options weren't really any better. Hermione and Krum...no. Ron and Lavender...no, please, no. Hermione and Harry might've worked, and I actually might have liked it better than Hermione and Ginny (don't hate me!) but then Ginny and Ron would have been left alone.
    I do think it's strange that J.K. Rowling is only saying this now, though...it's been years since the books came out. Maybe she wanted everything to work out perfectly (couple wise) in the real world. S she made it happen in her books?

    ReplyDelete