Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"Superpowers" Story Beginning

I do have exams this week, yet the amount of homework and projects didn't abate at all! Add on my gymnastics, swimming, flute, and debate classes, and I barely have enough time to eat, let alone blog! But I managed to find a spot of time today and I felt pretty guilty about not blogging at all. Since I still need to do homework and study, I'm just going to paste the beginning of one of the stories I wrote a year ago. It has no ending yet, but later I might try to think of one.



       If you could have any one superpower in the world, what would it be? I used to love this question. Now I hate it. Not because I don't like magic, but because there are simply too many powers to choose from, each seeming to good to not select.
       When I was quite young, perhaps six or seven, I really wanted to have super-speed. It seemed so cool at the time--racing around so fast that you were practically teleporting, never having to worry about being late. Around the time when I was eight years old, it became teleportation. To me, that seemed even cooler than super-speed. You could just disappear suddenly, and then pop out of thin air to anywhere you wanted--Paris, Las Vegas, the Moon...
      In fourth grade, we started studying history--that is, actual history and not the odd, useless 'social studies' that we studied before. I was captivated by absolutely everything--from the Declaration of Indepence to the Mayan civilization to the great Roman Empire. Then, my superpower obsession was time travel. Just imagine going back to any time period your heart desired--to see King Arthur, Guinevere, and the Knights of the Round Table; to witness the Chinese invention of paper; to figure out how the Egyptians built the Great Pyramids; to see how the Incas built their flawless temples!
      At that time, I thought I had decided permantently on time travel. However, I got to thinking, and wondered what would happen if you went back in time and accidentally killed your parents before you were born--then, would you die on the spot, because there were no parents to give birth to you? If I went back in time and took Martin Luther King Jr. back to the present, would society be different?       
       There were too many questions and, of course, no answers as no one had actually traveled back in time before. I didn't have much trouble thinking of a new awesome superpower that I wanted to have: to be a half-mermaid. Okay, so maybe that doesn't technically qualify as a superpower, but I had started watching a television show about girls that could turn into mermaids when they touched water. And their long, glistening tails of shiny scales seemed so incredibly beautiful that I couldn't help but want one myself.
       That superpower didn't last long. In sixth grade, my new official superpower obsession was flying--one power I still want today. Wondering what flying felt like, I tried every earthly thing possible to try to stimulate soaring through the sky with the sun on your wings. Gymnastics, ballet, sprinting, swimming, figure skating, speed skating, roller-skating, high-jumping... Everything was wonderful in its own sort of way, but none how I imagined flying. Even the wildest of roller coasters couldn't cause the feeling I imagined to be flying. Airplanes definitely didn't fit the bill, as I was trapped, sitting, and could hardly even see outside. My failure to find a human replacement further fueled my yearning to be able to fly--so I could find out what flying was really like.
      While I still sometimes consider wanting to be able to fly, in seventh grade I stumbled upon a new superpower that I was quite popular, but had never really appealed much to me: invisibility. I didn't think invisibility was such a big deal, especially not compared to, say, traveling back in time and figuring out the answers to decades-old historic mysteries or swooping through the royal purple and ethereal rose skies, with the clouds hugging your skin and then sinking rays of the sun lighting your path. Then I realized being invisible had more advantages than I had originally thought. There are all sorts of things, like perhaps seeing the backstage of a play, that you couldn't do if you weren't invisible.
      I dropped invisibility very quickly, once I thought about water powers. That is, being able to freeze water, heat water, bend water, turn water into a jelly-like state, and solidify water, which I imagined to be sort of like glass or crystal. Having power over water could come in to be immensely useful, as well as just plain awesome.
     Today, I can't decide between all of the many superpowers in the world. Flying and water powers perhaps still top my list, but I can't help thinking that teleportation, time travel, and mermaid tails are still extremely cool and much too awesome to not consider. Another superpower that I would like to have is power over weather--controlling wing, being able to summon lightning, start and vanish fires, creating blizzards, rain, snow, hail, and clearing clouds.


There's more to the story, and personally I find the beginning (what's above) to be a lot worse than the rest of my story. However, I can't really post the story without posting the beginning, so...
If you could have any one superpower in the world, what would it be and why? Share in the comments! As for me, I think it would be flying--as in, able to summon fairy wings on my back at will. But like the person in my story, I can't decide. There are too many awesome powers to just choose one!

--Audrey
 


6 comments:

  1. I agree, too many to choose from. You can't pick just one. Flying is one of them. :) I like your story, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, much too many :) Aww, thank you!! I loved your story "Forget Me Not," it was awesome.

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome, and thank you! So happy you loved it. :D

      Delete
  2. Ooh, you play the flute too?! (: Great instrument, but you have to be swift with your fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do play the flute. You do have to be swift with your fingers in flute...piano, I find, is a lot harder on the fingers, but definitely not as hard on the mouth.

      Delete
    2. I played the piano for six years, and it was kind of hard on the fingers. I tried to play the flute once, but I couldn't get it to make a sound. And now I'm on the viola, which is even harder on your fingers than piano.

      --Kiki

      Delete