Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I hope you have a prosperous 2013. I stayed up until, like 4 AM this morning, and I got up at noon. This morning I was attempting to make pancakes that had 2013 written in them, made of chocolate chips, but it didn't work and I ended up with a big chocolatey gob in the middle of my pancake. It was delicious anyway XD I did manage to make one pancake with a blueberry smiley face, though. Blueberries work a lot better than chocolate chips....haha. Did anyone celebrate New Year's Eve/New Year's Day?
Anyway, to conclude my New Year's blog countdown, it would be very lame if I didn't have a post on the actual New Year's Day. I wanted to post some writing, so this will basically be a boring piece about a girl on New Year's Eve based largely off my New Year's Eve night.



       I curled my body into a ball, wrapping my arms around my knees and leaning against one big plush armrest of the large rocking armchair. Loud voices and laughter carried from the dining room as my parents, aunts, and uncles played a complicated Chinese card game consisting of eight people and four decks of cards. My little sister, Claudia, played Monopoly on the shiny hardwood floor in front of the fireplace with my younger cousins, Josh and Violet. Turning my head, I saw the gleaming silver hands of the living room mantle clock show the time of 8:30 PM.
     Three and a half hours to go, I thought to myself, rocking slightly on the armchair. Delicious aromas of chocolate and cinnamon wafted from the kitchen to where I was sitting.
     Although everyone was stuffed from the New Year's Eve feast that consisted of "lucky foods" like long noodles, pork, greens, beans, round fruit, fish, pomegranate, and cornbread, my mother had still insisted on making dessert. She was baking a ring-shaped chocolate cake, making creme brulee, and had prepared a trifle.
      "Ding!" the oven chimed cheerfully, and Claudia looked up in interest.
      "Cake, cake!!!" she cried out happily, running to the kitchen, Josh and Violet following fast on her heels.
     Reluctant as I was to leave my cozy, warm armchair, I pushed myself up and walked to the kitchen in time to watch as my mom pulled the cake out of the oven and transferred it to a cooling rack. "Why don't we enjoy some creme brulee before we start the cake?" my mother suggested, and so the fancy dessert was dished out.
    About a half hour later, cake was sliced for everyone, and I was so full I didn't think I could even eat another grain of rice, but somehow I managed to stuff the small slice of warm, scrumptious cake down.
     With nothing better to do, I joined Claudia, Josh and Violet in their game of Monopoly. After an hour of buying property and houses, paying outrageous rent prices, mortgaging properties, and being sent to a fake jail by a police officer head, we cleaned up the board game and went outside to set off small fountain fireworks, because Claudia, Josh, and Violet weren't allowed to stay up any later than 10:30 PM.
      Everyone crowded outside, chatting and laughing as the adults took turns using the lighter to set off colorful fountains of fireworks, some of which shrieked and whistled, and others popped, snapped and exploded a few feet into the air.
     While everyone was preoccupied, I grabbed a pouch of exploding snaps, which were little raisin size pellets that made a sharp snap and lit up for a second when you threw them onto the ground. Filling both hands with as many exploding snaps as possible, I snuck around in the shadows as everyone else was ooing and aahing at a fountain. The second the fountain sputtered out, I threw both handfuls of exploding snaps onto the ground, and they all popped.
     Claudia gave a shriek of laughter, and soon everyone, including the adults, had grabbed some exploding snaps and we were running around, throwing them at each other.
      The next half hour was pure joy and happiness; filled with exploding snap tag and miniature firework fountains. Soon, Claudia, Josh, and Violet were ushered to bed; my cousins sleeping in the guest bedroom of our house.
       I retook my position on the armchair by the roaring fireplace and stared into the flickering flames, which reminded me of the summer camp campfires I had sat around in the summer. The summer camp reminded me of school, which reminded me of friends, school dances, parties...like a living memory book, the events of the year flashed in my head. Faces smiled and hands waved, airplanes took off and hoildays were celebrates.
      Before I realized it, the big mantle clock bonged loudly, announcing the arrival of 11:30 PM. Sitting up, I turned the television on and smiled at the sight of people crowded in Times Square, waiting excitedly for the big ball to drop down and announce the arrival of the new year.
      Famous singers performed on the stage, a few of which I recognized. A blonde woman in a red business suit smiled and announced in an overly cheerful voice, "It's almost time to celebrate the beginning of a new year! And...one more minute left!"
      The camera turned to reveal the glowing ball hanging atop Times Square. 44...43...42...the Jumbotron flashed.
     All of the adults paused their card game and hurried into the living room. "Ten! Nine Eight!" We cheered along with all the other people on television in New York City.
     "Three...two...one!!! Happy New Year!!!" We shouted, clapping and whistling.



Yes, lame, I know...my friend Vanessa (the one who guest posted) gave me this idea: 2013 Book Review Blog Challenge. So basically for the whole year, you blog a review about every single book you've read, even textbooks if you want. You can do it for any amount of time--one month, two months, half year, one year...I'm going to try to keep it up for the whole year, but...whether I'll succeed is a whole 'nother story XP. They don't have to be long reviews--you can just do a short review, like "Captivating, with suspense around every corner" or something like that. Now, since it's the New Year, I thought I'd post my New Year's Resolutions:
1. Blog a lot. Obviously. I'm going to try for at least once a week, but...well, once a week is doable, I think.
2. Get straight-A's. My grades are pretty average, A's and B's, but it's not too often that I get straight-A's, so I want to try for that =)
3. Edit my NaNoWriMo story. Those 52447 words aren't going to revise themselves. (ah, but if only they could....)

There are more, but none important enough to post. Have a happy and prosperous 2013!

--Audrey


No comments:

Post a Comment