Monday, April 1, 2013

Eating Chocolate Indefinitely?! o.O

I stumbled upon this online and I still cannot figure it out. If you can find the mistake, pleaseeee please please tell me what it is? I have gone cross-eyed staring at the computer screen.


How to eat chocolate indefinitely


Source

The steps go in a backwards S, by the way. Not left to right. Geometrically I know this is not possible--there will be a little bit sticking out, but the right side will be a tiny tad shorter. That means that somewhere in this diagram, they have altered something to make it work just so. I cannot find the error, despite combing through this diagram for way too long and getting a headache. So I have resorted to the blogosphere in hopes of the answer.

In other news I just joined an awesome, book-based message board! Prisoner of Reality  My friend Fira Marine is also on that message board, so come join us! :)

--Audrey

6 comments:

  1. *stares at picture for what seems like forever*

    I just don't understand how they got an extra piece at the end when there should be the same amount of chocolate the entire time! My only solution for you to try and figure this out is to take some paper and draw the squares on it and then try following the steps with that, as opposed to using actual chocolate (it might get a bit messy).

    Good luck! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! We did study this in geometry at my school, just the tiniest bit...so I've come to the conclusion that mathematically, there will be an extra piece, but in turn another part of the chocolate will be shorter.

      Yes, good idea. I'm uncertain whether the slope of the diagonal line matters, but I'm going to try to make an exact copy and tell you how it goes :)

      I'm pretty sure there's some sort of little error in the diagram that makes it so that there is just one perfect extra piece.

      Delete
    2. Ohhh, that makes sense! (Even though the picture makes us think that it's still the same size.)

      The slope of the line probably is important, because it is what, sort of, controls the size of some of the pieces.

      Delete
  2. Huh. This will haunt me forever now. I will never be able to sleep in piece again. Thanks a lot for that! Now I have to convince my mom to get me chocolate so I can figure this out. xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um.... That is rigged...... FRUSTRATION ALERT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drooling "huh?" CHOCOLATE! :P

    ReplyDelete