Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spring Break

My spring break has officially started! Well, kind of...I mean, the Sunday after the coming Sunday, I have a piano test, so I am preparing for several hours of practice and piano theory and scales and sight reading...*shudders*
Not that I dislike piano or anything... well, no. I do dislike piano--playing it, that is. Piano music is usually very beautiful. Playing the flute is much more enjoyable for me.

Usually my family goes on vacations...we do like our travels :)  But my dad is really busy, so until school starts on April 8th, I get to stay home and read all the books that I've been planning to read but never got around to actually reading.
Speaking of reading books...has anyone read Divergent by Veronica Roth? I've heard a lot about it but haven't read it yet. And has anyone read Legend by Marie Lu? I've heard a lot about that book, too... and also related to books are all the reviews that I haven't done. So instead I'm going to do a quick little gloss-over about the books I've been reading.

Matched by Ally Condie (book 1 of the Matched trilogy):
This is a dystopian book set in the future, with a Society similar to Lois Lowry's Community in The Giver. Except there's more romance, so if you like romance books, then I would recommend it. Cassia, the main character (17 years old), is "matched" with her future husband. Each person is only supposed to have one match, but Cassia is given 2. There isn't really anything very inappropriate in this book, in my opinion...though there is one sentence that possibly just might have suggested something a tad mature, but it isn't a big deal.

The Quest Begins by Erin Hunter (book 1 of the Seekers series):
I. Loved. This. Book. In fact, I'm already on the third book in the series. It's about three bears (and one shapeshifter that is normally in the shape of a bear) that go on a journey following the North Star. A grizzly bear, a polar bear, and a black bear take turns narrating the story. At first they start off separately, but they meet later on. Awesome book, dare I say even better than Warriors?

The Dark Hills Divide by Patrick Carman (book 1 in the Land of Elyon series):
I actually read this in fifth grade, and it was rather boring, but I saw this book again and I felt like I just had to reread it. And I don't know how I thought it was boring before because when I read this book again, it was witty, interesting, and definitely left me wanting to read the 2nd book. Alexa Daley, the 12 year old daughter of a mayor, escapes the walled city during the summer and ends up discovering magic, talking animals, and of course, a criminal conspiracy planning to overthrow her hometown.


Wellll, there are more books that I've read, but those were the three best. So. Anyway. I attempted to bake lemon cupcakes with my friend Madeline, and they actually turned out better than I expected. I found the recipe in the description of a YouTube video...here's the actual video:
and here's the link so you can see the recipes in the description:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jZcnfi5iCc
Made by a woman named Rosanna Pansino, who bakes the most amazing things ever. You should see some of her other videos...mind blowing.


--Audrey

6 comments:

  1. s Matched is clean except for one part? What is dystopian? I'm hearing that word a lot lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, just noticed the typos. Lol.

      Delete
    2. Uhhh, there isn't much violence, swearing, or any other mature content...besides a few kisses, but I don't think that counts :)

      Dystopian is the opposite of utopian; a dystopia is any community/society (typically fictional) that is significantly frightening or unpleasant. For example, in the Society in the book Matched, Officials decide who you love and when you die.

      Delete
    3. Yeah,kisses don't count. Cool then!

      Aahhh, thanks for giving me an example. i get it now. ��

      Delete
  2. Beyond the Valley of Thorns (the sequel to The Dark Hills Divide) is not as good as the first book, in my opinion. I like the Seekers series, too, but I think Warriors is better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hi Connie! I've seen you around Nat's blog :)

      I agree, I've started Beyond the Valley of Thorns and it isn't as interesting. Seekers is awesome! I still can't decide whether I like Warriors better or not...but in a nutshell, both series are really good :)

      Delete