Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Opposite of Opposite Days

I just had to make a post about this...not sure why....

So my little sister hates being wrong, or doing something incorrectly. Like, she really hates it. She will throw tantrums and scream and cry and on occasions, kick and bite (she doesn't bite hard, though). And recently, instead of bursting out into tears and screaming and getting me in trouble for teasing her (even though, um, I was just correcting her...) she's been randomly claiming that "today is opposite day!" whenever she's wrong.

Which got me to think, is it even possible to have an opposite day? Since people usually speak, should they not speak? Or should they say the words backwards? You would have to say the words in a backwards order and reverse the letters in each word. If it's a school day, do you skip school? Or does the order of your periods flip around? How about your clothing? Would you wear it inside out and backwards? You can't put on shoes backwards, though. And would you walk backwards on your hands? How about food? Would you not eat, or *shudders* regurgitate it after eating it?

...and many more problems with an 'opposite day.' I pointed this out to my sister, but she couldn't answer...which in her eyes meant she was wrong...so she started crying again, and then I couldn't write my NaNo novel for the entire afternoon. Sigh. Anyway, short post, but, well, it's a post, right?

3 comments:

  1. I've thought about that before too..... I wonder how opposite day even started?? There really isn't a specific day for it though.... How old is your sister?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,I know! When I was in elementary, sometimes someone would randomly tell me that it's 'opposite day.' My sister is seven :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little brother used to do that when he was around your sister's age, too! I would tell him he did something wrong, and instead of actually fixing it, he would say, "Yeah, but today is Opposite Day, so I'm right!" He's a few years older now, but he still hates to get things wrong. He'll ask me to look at something, but if I criticize it he flips out. Oh well...

    --Kiki

    ReplyDelete