Sunday, May 5, 2013

Book Review: City of Bones

 
I really don't know why I didn't think to review this book earlier. Because it is only one of the best books in existence. (but my reviewing skills are reallllyyyy bad, so I won't be conveying how much I love this book very well)
 
 
 
 

 
 
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (first book in the Mortal Instruments series)
 
Genre: fantasy
 
Synopsis:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing—not even a smear of blood—to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . .

Good Stuff: Um, everything! Especially Jace. I love Jace, and his arrogance and sarcasm and his jokes. I also really like Magnus Bane. Even though there isn't really a whole ton of him in this first book. Clary, the main character, is also very enjoyable to read. Enjoyable to read...does that make sense? What I mean is, sometimes I get really annoyed or mad at a certain character, but never for this book. I loved the whole thing, every single word on every single page. It's a terrific story that's terrifically written. And the ending was...surprising. Startling. Stunning. Shocking. (isn't it kind of funny how those four all start with s?) Also very, um, action-packed? (yup, really bad at reviewing books...) Also a few big words that I didn't know. (like exsanguinated. I love saying that) The movie is coming out on August 23rd, and the trailer is fantastic. I've been spending the whole weekend completely ignoring my homework and browsing the Internet for everything and anything to do with City of Bones.

Bad Stuff: Well, there is some swearing. (And I really don't know what qualifies as swearing...like, does 'hell' count? Because 'heaven' is not typically considered a swear word, so I really see no reason why 'hell' is). I usually don't like books that have a whole lot of swearing, but in this particular case I think it added to the story. And, a slight bit of, er, implied mature content, but again, I think it helped the story.

I really don't know what else to say, but, well, this book was awesome. Amazing. Terrific. Interesting. Other good adjectives.

Rating: Five stars out of five. No question.

Recommended Readers: Ummm, pretty much everyone. But due to aforementioned swear words, maybe, uhh, 12 and up? The book jacket says 14 and up...really, I would reccomend this book for anyone who wants to read it. Especially before the movie comes out.

Right after I finished City of Bones, I immediately: a) placed a hold on the second book, City of Ashes, and b) rushed to Barnes & Noble and bought City of Ashes. Which is very weird--I mean, no point in both buying the book and checking it out from the library. But I just had to, for some reason, because I just really love this series.



On a slightly related sidenote, I'm going to rant about the movie. So if you haven't read City of Bones, I suggest you don't read ahead because I may spoil something.
A lot of people are displeased about some of the casting for the movie...namely Jamie Campbell Bower for Jace, but I think Jamie makes a perfect Jace. Especially when Clary says "you didn't see that?!" and then Jace turns around...oh, his face <33 And as for Clary, I guess her hair could be a tad redder, but I think it matters less whether her hair is the right shade of red and more whether Lily Collins portrays the part well. And both Jamie Campbell Bower and Lily Collins are great actors (or, um, actresses) and I think the movie will be great.

Clary was supposed to kill the Ravener demon (okay, now I spoiled something) but in the movie trailer it looked as though Jace did. Also, there was this part when someone--Isabelle, I think, says "there's too many of them." I really cannot recall what scene this is. So yeah, the movie is different from the book--but what movie is exactly like the book it is based on? In itself, City of Bones looks like an awesome movie. And in trailer #3 when Simon says "but I'm the one who's always been there for you! Not him!" Oh, Simon <3

AND MAGNUS. OMIGOD. There isn't a whole lot of him in the movie trailer, but he looks so perfect. Simon, too. Neither as I imagined them--no, they were both much, much better than I imagined. And Alec...oh, Alec is perfect too. Especially since Kevin Zegers isn't British, yet his accent is so realistic... I could go on and on about how awesome the movie trailer was. I cannot wait until August 23rd. Which is so far away.................... I'll just be watching all three trailers over and over until the movie comes out. Then I'll watch the movie, and then reread the books until the DVD comes out, at which time I will waste hours upon hours rewatching the movie.

There were bits that were definitely different from the book, but I don't really think that's a bad thing. I mean, there are parts of books that you just can't put very well into a movie. And movies are meant to be more, ah, thrilling. Since there are demons and glamour (magic), there has to be special effects and computer animations. And I have seen more than one movies or television shows that are just...cheesy, because of the special effects. But from what I could tell from the trailer, the City of Bones movie hasn't been ruined with the computer effects. Which I am sooo grateful for.


Anyway, well, I don't really have much else to say. Later, after I tackle my procrastinated homework, I will make a post all about Jace, and his quotes, and the memes I've seen created about him. Because he is my favorite. Hands down.

--Audrey
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment