Saturday, March 2, 2013

Rebirth of the Renaissance

Back in the olden days, a.k.a. approximately 1400--1600 AD, I believe there was a European Renaissance in which Europe started recovering classical art/architecture, humanism started, and Europe basically caught up with the rest of the world after a few hundred years of war and disease. Forgive me if I'm wrong, I've never been very good at memorizing history stuff.
And yes, I know that if translated, the title of my post means "rebirth of the rebirth." My post doesn't really have much to do with the Renaissance...I just kind of like the word.

I was just thinking about how many cool things there are to do that I've never tried, and frankly know almost nothing about. Like astronomy, horseback riding, quilting, etc., I mean, there are a lot of things for people to do out there, and I've tried none of them.
So I had this thought, around December-ish last year, and I thought it would be cool if I would spent 2013 trying a bunch of things I've never done before. But it's already March, which means one-sixth of the year is over, and I haven't done anything yet.
Which is why I thought I might start now, except I don't have any idea how to start since it isn't like I can just go join a bunch of classes randomly and try them out. I have always wanted to try quilting, but I don't think my mom would let me go out and buy a ton of fabric and cotton all of a sudden. Especially since my sewing skills are not very impressive. And I have about twenty quilting patterns that I just cannot understand. So maybe quilting isn't a good place to start.
Any ideas for something that I could try to learn that wouldn't cost a lot of money (or require something big, like a horse or a swimming pool)?
My weird, kind of impossible-ish idea reminded me of the Renaissance, when people strived to be talented in many areas. I'm not talented in many areas, nor do I really know things in many areas, so I thought it would be nice to change that. Do something useful with my life, maybe?

--Audrey

(oh, and do you like the St. Patrick's Day background? The flowers on the side are kind of fake/cheesy looking, now that I look at them...)

10 comments:

  1. People may want to try new things but it's up to the person. Do what you want to do. You can ask your mom if she can teach you to knit or crotchet, or you can start a book club, or use your imagination like make friendship bracelets for your friends... Whatever you find it fun for you. :)

    The flowers aren't bad. I couldn't see them until I scrolled down the page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried making friendship bracelets once...I just cannot make them :) but knitting and crocheting sounds fun...
      Oh, thank you, I wasn't sure if I should use this background...

      Delete
    2. ;) Aw you are so welcome.

      Delete
  2. By the way, that book "matched" looks so pretty. will you be doing a review of it later on? I would like to know what it is about and if it's clean. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the cover too, and I know "you can't judge a book by it's cover" but I just noticed it's pretty cover and thought the synopsis was good so I decided to read it :)

      Yes, I will be doing a review of it, as soon as I finish!

      Delete
    2. So true. Awesome, can't wait to read your review.

      Delete
  3. Maybe you could try doing flexibility stuff? I'm decently flexible but I'm trying to learn how to do a chest stand and a tilt and it's hard but fun! Or you could take up photo editing if you already don't do so. Haha that's all I have, but I love your idea to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'll look into that. I'm flexible enough, I guess, but being flexible would help with my gymnastics :) And I like photography, but I've never tried editing photos. That sounds cool.
      I haven't always been open to new things XD, but I do want to try new things now :)

      Delete
  4. ASTRONOMY!

    I love astronomy. You should do something related to it. Last summer my family stumbled across a star party, where a lot of people have their own telescopes and they show us different things in the sky, and then we joined the club and got our own telescope and learned how to use it. It is so awesome. Do astronomy! :D

    I've always wanted to try horseback riding. And - oh! SWORD FIGHTING! And archery of course. My dream is to stab someone one day...jk. Maybe. ;)

    But yeah, you have a good plan, go do something with your life unlike me, all I do is go to school, go to ballet, do my hw, maybe have time to write, and that's about it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, astronomy has always sounded interesting to me, but I can't so much as locate the North Star XD Well, I do have a telescope. I'll see if there's some sort of club that I can join that has to do with astronomy :)

      Horseback riding sounds really cool to me, but nothing I can just try out of the blue... Sword fighting and archery...not readily available for me either. And I suppose stabbing something (but not a person!) might have a certain appeal.

      Well, if you really like ballet, that's not bad at all. :)

      Delete