Monday, June 17, 2013

I'm Going off to China!!

AAGHHH. I AM SO SCARED.
I got up around 4 AM, then drove to the airport. Then I flew to Vancouver, Canada, which took about 2 hours. By the way, flying to Vancouver doesn't make the flight to China any cheaper, it's just a lot cheaper. So yay, I got to fly for 2 extra hours! Not. No. I already have a TWELVE (12, 12, 12! That's half of an entire day!) hour flight to China. I'm not claustrophobic (well, unless it's an extreme case) and I don't get motion sick very easily, but 12 hours. I am bound to get tired/sick/bored after 12 hours of sitting in a turbulent airplane 32,000 feet above the ground Eek.

So in about 10 minutes, I will be jetted off to Shanghai.
As in China.
Where I don't speak the language.
Where I look like a foreigner (and ergo am more than twice as likely to be pickpocketed).
I've never been there before.
I've never even been to Asia before (no, that's a lie. I think my plane stopped in Japan once or something, but that doesn't count).
And I'm not even with my parents.

I'm with my older brother, my godmother, and my godmother's two children. My godmother and her children are Chinese, and visit China every year. So at least I'm with experts, if I'm not with my parents. Now my godmother, she took the liberty of filming a street (yes, a street) for me when she was in China sometime last year. The drivers are insane. I don't want to be mean or anything, but THEY DON'T STOP FOR PEDESTRIANS. (unless you're like right in front of them). And actually that's what you're supposed to do in China, walk right out into the middle of a busy street where the honking is all one loud, steady blare, and don't worry about the cars charging 90 mph at you, because they have to stop if they don't want to run you over.
Talk about scary. I'd rather do a blind dismount of the balance beam. (and I really hate those).

I'm fine with honking, usually. I've been to NYC, and there is plenty of honking there. But the honking here is so...aggressive...and the driver's don't WANT to be cut off by a pedestrian, so what do they do? Floor the gas. (okay, maybe the don't FLOOR the gas, but they go a lot faster so that they won't have to wait for you). In other places, honking is a reminder that you need to watch out for another car. In Shanghai, the honking sounds like the drivers are screaming at you. It. Is. So. Scary. If I can somehow find the right website filters to do it, I'll upload a video of the streets for you guys. ARGH.

Well anyway, I have to go now...
Wish me luck!

--Audrey

10 comments:

  1. WOWWWWW. I've been to China. But I was 4. I don't know HOW I survived the flight. I'm learning Mandarin, now, too which is cool :)

    HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omigod. I just landed, and it's like 1 PM, and I am so tired. I can barely keep my eyes open... I'm going to post more later. When I've taken a million hour nap...

      Argh, I don't know how I survived the flight either. It was so awful...I shall explain later. Ooh, Mandarin :) that's so cool. I learned a little for this trip!

      Delete
  2. And I was groaning because I woke up at six this morning! What's the time difference in China? I think it's a lot. Or maybe not. I'm awful at anything that has to do with geography. I still sometimes say "geometry" by accident. You might have landed by now, I don't know. It depends on what the time difference there is between the places we live. If you've landed: you survived! If you haven't: almost there!
    Books. Bring lots of books. And a kindle, or a nook, if you have one. I don't go on planes much - are you allowed to use the internet. I don't think you are, but that could just be because I"m clueless about long distance flights.
    I can't say I know anything about pick pocketers, or Chinese drivers, or China in general, but based on what you said, here is my advice:
    1) Get a bag that has a lot of zippers/buttons/stuff like that, wear it where you can see it, and keep everything in it.
    2) Buy a wig and memorize "Excuse me, ma'am/sir, I have to go" in Chinese. It might get you out of conversations with potential pick pocketers.
    3)Buy earplugs and carry them everywhere you go.
    4) Copy everything your godmother does.
    5) Don't walk across the street unless your life depends upon it.
    6) Find a place where there are no cars and hide there.
    7) Don't get into a vehicle that is driven by a potentially crazy driver.
    That's about all I can think of. Let me know if this helps!

    --Kiki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mhmm, I hate getting up early too. Six is early enough...4 was just awful. I could hardly walk down the stairs, I was so tired.

      Well, the time difference depends where you live. In California, China is 15 hours ahead. In NYC, China is 12 hours ahead. Haha, time differences are not really common knowledge, so don't worry about that. :) Geography does sound very similar to geometry, doesn't it?
      I SURVIVED. So true. But gosh, do I need a nap. I am so tired, just arrived at my godmother's apartment...
      As for books, I definitely came prepared! I brought every book I could squeeze into my suitcase, and of course I brought my Kindle...50 books in one! :)
      Lol I don't know much about China either...I'm planning to just tag along with my godmother. But under her advice, I did buy a cross-body bag that is always right in front of me, so I can see everything!
      xD I don't have a wig, but I have been practicing my Chinese. Though my bad accent and my huge green eyes might give me away...haha. Smart idea though!
      I have my iPod and my iPhone! Also brought 2 sets of earphones...lots of New Yorkers wear earphones on the street, so maybe they'll help in China.

      Haha. I'm going to try to avoid big, busy streets. Only tiny, deserted streets for me! Eek, those streets are so scary! I only saw a little bit, but gosh, it's even worse in person than on video.

      The taxi drivers in China, according to my grandmother, are all super good drivers. But I'll be sure to stay clear of insane drivers! :)

      Okay, I am going to go take a nap now...good night for you, good afternoon for me!

      Delete
    2. I love my Kindle. It saves me. Before I would take multiple backpacks to carry all my books, and now I just have to bring my Kindle. The only problem is if you lose it, you lose about fifty books, too. And there's something about a real, paper book that a Kindle just can't replace.
      Anyway....China. I did study ancient China in Social Studies this year, but we didn't learn anything about cars. Or pick pocketers. Or time differences. Or iPods, earphones, iPhones, or Kindles. So that's not very helpful.
      Have a good nap! (That sounded kind of weird. And since you replied last night, it would be kind of strange if you were still napping, but, well, I guess I'll leave it. No--wait! How about this?: I hope you HAD a good nap! I think that makes more sense. And now this parentheses has gone on for way too long, and I have gone on for way too long about how to wish someone a good nap.)

      --Kiki

      Delete
  3. *squeals* That's so cool! I hope you have a blast! Stay safe, Audrey! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It is so, so cool...and so, so, scary!

      Thanks! I really hope I have a good time too... And gosh, I got my first good view of the streets, and they are terrifying. Absolutely terrifying. If Blogger will cooperate, maybe I can post a video of the streets...

      Are you going anywhere over the summer? :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Audrey! I know you said you and your friends were interested in having me in their cabin for Camp NanoWrimo and I'm super excited! So I know their requesting cabins in 1 day so whats your username and you friends' so I can request really soon. If you didn't get it my username is FumiLily so feel free to request :) -Fumi Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I asked all my friends to request your username, so I think we can be in a cabin together! :) :)

      But if you want to request, here's mine:
      audreyjones83

      Delete
    2. Oh, and make sure that you have created your July novel! Also, put at least one piece of info in your profile thing. That's required to be sorted into a cabin! :)

      Delete