Saturday, June 1, 2013

Wait, Wait, Wait. It's June Already?

June. As in, five months of the year have already passed. Every January I tell myself that this is the year I'm going to, you know, try new things and meet new people and all that. But I never do it. Sigh.

On a brighter note, my school is out! Which means no more finals or tests! (well actually, I'm taking math over the summer so I can skip yet another year of it. My mother is huge on getting me to skip years so I get more APs, for college and everything. College. SATs. *shudders* I'm not even that close to them yet, anyway). Well actually, I'm kind of close to them, considering my brother started SAT vocab prep in 7th grade. But still. My brother is much smarter than I am.

I want to post more over the summer, so I have decided that for the three months of June, July, and August, I will be posting at least 3 times per week. I will probably not acheive this all the time, due to my summer homework (gah), and some vacations (yay!). Right now I have like 20 unfinished posts waiting in my blogger dashboard, glaring at me to finish them. There's book reviews, original writing, recipes, tags/awards, and just some random things. And don't forget my totally awesome fangirly posts on Jace and Magnus and Clary (not that I really like Clary very much, but she IS the female lead...and the main lead...) Oh, and if you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm referring to The Mortal Instruments series. If you haven't read it, go read it. NOW. By Cassandra Clare, first book is City of Bones. My review is in a previous post here.

What to say, what to say... I'm going to copy Amanda and list some of the things I learned this year. I highly suggest you go visit Amanda's blog. She is witty and funny and very, very interesting. Her blog is much better than mine. Seriously. Go check it out.

My list is soooo boring. But I'm gonna try...
  • Math, which basically means Algebra 2 and pre-calculus. I didn't actually do both in one year... My school is pretty weird. Mainly it was Algebra 2.
  • Shakespeare analysis. Not going to go into the details, but let's just say that whole unit was ridiculously hard. I kind of like reading Shakespeare, but dissecting every last theme and metaphor and poetic element out of the literature is not enjoyable. At all.
  • Like Amanda, I did learn the location of all the countries in the world and significant bodies of water (of which there are a lot). That test was hard, but I like knowing all the names of all the countries that no one has ever heard of, haha.
  • SAT vocab. I hate looking at the lists of SAT vocab, because I've never heard of ANY OF THEM (well maybe a few) and then I have to memorize their definition, too. Argh. I really hope I get better at this before I have to take the test.
  • Debates. This is actually a good one. I love debating, and I'm on my school's competitive debate team. I went to Boston to observe a debate once, too. That was really cool, but those debaters were SO GOOD I was changing my opinion every time one of them delivered a speech. Then there were the debates I participated in, six of which were twelve hours long. I went to Detroit for a 3-day debate thing, too. And instant debates, those are fun.
  • Science...well. Physics, mostly. I like physics for the most part, though I think I prefer biology. I haven't done much chemistry studies, so I can't say about that. I built catapults and these chain reaction things, and lots of other stuff. I got an honorable mention in the county science fair, which is more than I expected. Didn't make it to the state or anything, though...
  • That I love reading Charles Dickens.
  • That the Wizard of Oz is actually a series of 3 books (who knew?) and that the other two books are better than the first one. Go read all 3 of them.
I'm gonna stop now. I learned more, I guess, but nothing is really worth mentioning. Now some things I want to do over the summer (besides the obvious stuff like go swimming and to the beach and all that)
  • Learn how to write and eat with both hands equally. This could very possibly come in handy someday. I'm naturally right-handed, but I recently realized that I'm not too bad with my left hand either. Ambidextrous! :)
  • Learn how to knit with more than two needles. I can knit with two needles, and I can crochet, but I can't do that awesome thing with three needles that makes a hat. Oh, I also know how to loom knit and finger knit.
  • Study more SAT vocab. Not fun, but my mother will kill me if I don't do well on that test coming up in a few years.
  • Several gymnastics routines, mostly on the balance beam, that I need to nail. :)
  • Read more. Very fun!  My to-read list is about ten miles long.
Well, that's all for today!

--Audrey

3 comments:

  1. SAT vocab? Already? And your brother started in 7th grade? That means my mom's probably going to make me start next year!
    I just can't believe that almost the whole school year has passed for me. Like, sometimes a week feels really long, but then I realize it's been almost nine months. Crazy.
    City of Bones is good? I need something to read. Off to buy it on my Kindle...

    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, already! Oh, not everyone starts in 7th grade :) My mom just wants to make sure we score high. And there are a lot, so I think it just helps to start a little earlier. You don't have to do any serious studying until you're a lot closer to the tests.

      I know...this school year has passed amazingly fast for me. I can't believe it's June. I just can't.

      YES OMIGOD City of Bones and all the sequels are AMAZING. One of the best series I have ever read. Tell me if you like it! (quite frankly I would be astonished if you didn't).

      Delete
  2. I have four years...my mom should leave me for another year (I hope).
    And now I have to study for my English end of the year test, which is tomorrow, my Spanish end of the year, which is Friday, and finish my social studies "say everything you've learned this year" essay which is due Wednesday. *Sigh*

    --Kiki

    ReplyDelete