Saturday, December 29, 2012

Counting and Sneezing

Okay, so the title of this post is extremely weird, but this morning while I was sitting on a couch, staring at the big calendar in our living room, a few thoughts about counting crossed my mind.
Please excuse this nonsensical rambling.

What's three plus four? Seven. (unless I'm so bad at math I can't do that). You get seven by counting four, five, six seven. But why don't you count THREE four five six? I don't know...I'm sure there's some mathematical explanation anyhow... My main question is how many days are there until New Year's? (For me January 1 is the New Year, I don't follow the Lunar Calendar but if you do, then the question is how many days till January 1) There are 3 possible solutions, I think, and 4 different ways of counting...

Method 1: Including today and New Year's: (it's Saturday for me right now) Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: 4 days until New Year's.

Method 2: Including today but NOT New Year's: Saturday, Sunday, Monday: 3 days till New Year's.

Method 3: Including only New Year's but NOT today: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: 3 days till New Year's

Method 4: Excluding both today and New Years: Sunday, Monday: 2 days till New Year's

In your opinion (or mathematical reasoning or research or whatever) which of these methods is correct, are they all correct, or are they all wrong and am I missing a method?

Okay, now that that's done, I just had to post about sneezing. I don't know if I'm alone but to me I find sneezing extremely awkward. I hate sneezing in public. Especially if I'm wearing a shorter sleeves that expose my elbow. Because etiquette dictates that I direct my sneeze into the crook of my elbow. But isn't it kind of disgusting if you walk around with spit and mucus covering your elbow? And it would look extremely weird if you took out a tissue and wiped your elbow after each sneeze. At least to me it seems weird. Yet there's nothing else you can do, unless you wipe off your sneeze onto your shirt or pants, but that's a) also kind of disgusting and b) I'd imagine you'd look very odd, wiping your elbow onto your clothing. So one possible solution, I think, is to not actually sneeze onto your elbow, but bring your arm up to your face as though you were going to sneeze into your elbow but actually sneeze over/under your arm. But that introduces a whole new problem, the fear of sneezing onto someone else, especially if you're in a cramped elevator or a classroom or something. Just wondering if anyone shared these thoughts or if I'm alone in being totally paranoid about sneezing habits.

And I just realized I've been posting every day since the 26th so I'm going to call this a post-Christmas New Year's countdown kind of thing. For fun, since my posts aren't that fun and I don't do anything fun like contests and whatnot.

--Audrey

2 comments:

  1. OMG I HATE COUNTING DAYS I HAVE THAT EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

    And I think you are a little to paranoid about sneezing. I mean, everyone finds it awkward, but you're a little insane. :DDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I hate counting days too. And I thought so, I do worry too much about sneezing....

    ReplyDelete