Thursday, December 27, 2012

My Long Overdue Writing

As I promised yesterday...writing! I actually got a few ideas for writing to post, but one of them seemed to promise the longest piece, so I chose that one. I was going to write it as a diary entry, but that's first-person and I wanted to post something third-person, since I already did a first-person piece. So I'm going to try to convert my idea into a third-person story. It's realistic fiction...again...I can't seem to think of anything else lately. It will suck terribly, so I suggest you stop reading now lest you waste a few minutes of your life reading some of the worst writing this world has ever seen.



       Laura stared out the car window, watching the sparkling white snowflakes drift merrily to the muddy asphalt, and disappear into the ugly brown sleet.
       "It's snooowwiiiing, it's snooowiiiinggggg!!!!" Ashley, Laura's younger sister sang in delight, bouncing around in her car seat, rapping at the glass as though she longed to break free from the buckles and belts fastening her to the seat of the car and race outside to the snow and wind.
       Mrs. Weiss, Laura's mother, turned around from the passenger seat in the car. "Sit still, Ashley," she chided her daughter, and then she addressed both of her daughters, saying, "There are a lot of cars stuck in the storm right now, so it could take us another few hours to reach Reno. Why don't you two take a nap?"
      Although she had been bubbling with excitement earlier, Ashley immediately cried, "Okay!" and leaned against the back of her chair and closed her eyes.
       Bored, Laura craned her neck so she could see the long line of cars stuck on the snowy highway, trudging along at about five miles per hour. Many cars had pulled off to the side to put snow chains on their car tires.
       Suddenly, all car movement came to a complete stop. Mr. Weiss muttered wearily, "There must be a heavily loaded truck up on the highway that can't climb up the mountain any more. Or maybe a car spun off the highway. I haven't seen such a bad storm in ten years."
      Sighing loudly, Laura slipped off her boots and pulled her knees to her chest. "How long will it take us to reach Reno, then?" she mumbled, but there was no answer except a deep, heavy breath from Ashley.
       A few minutes later, the cars started moving again. Laura sat up hopefully, but their SUV inched only a few feet forward and stopped again. Flopping back against the leather seat, Laura rolled her eyes and leaned her head against the cold window. Snow was falling more heavily than ever, so that Laura could hardly see anything but white.
       Just then, a man bundled up in thick layers of brightly colored clothing, wearing a neon green crossing-guard vest stopped at the window of the car in front of them, and appeared to be saying something to the people inside the car. Interested, Laura straightened and waited until the man came over to their car. Mrs. Weiss rolled down the window so he could speak, and snow blew into the car, stinging Laura's face and covering the seats in a thin sheet of white.
       "The highway is closed off now. It won't reopen for another three to five hours," the man announced, and then he left to go to the car behind the Weiss family.
       Seriously??!! Laura thought furiously. I have to sit in this car for another five hours with Ashley?
       Mr. Weiss and Mrs. Weiss exchanged worried glances. "You know, I think it would be better if we just...headed home," Mrs. Weiss suggested tentatively.
      As both parents had predicted, Laura exploded in fury and indignancy. "WHAT???!!" Laura spluttered. "We always go skiing for Christmas! When you saw the storm warning, I had to persuade you to keep our plans! Why do we have to go home? Why can't we park the car on the highway and wait for a few more hours? We've already been driving for six hours, haven't we? Might as well wait another three to five! I--"
      Mr. Weiss cut Laura off. "Laura," he started sternly.
      Ignoring her father Laura continued to fume. "What? What's wrong? We already drove this far, so there's no point to just head back! It's snowing just as hard on the road back home as the road to Reno! We--"
       "Laura!" Mrs. Weiss snapped. "Why don't we drive back to Sacramento, spend the night there, and then tomorrow morning, we can head back out for Reno."
       Mr. Weiss nodded appreciatively. "Yes, that's a great idea. Laura, why don't--"
       Interrupting her father just as he had earlier, Laura challenged, "It's going to take us a few hours to get back to Sacramento in this storm anyway! Why can't we just wait here?"
      Ashley had woken up from all of the shouting and commotion. "I'm hungry," she whined.
      "We can get food in Sacramento," Mrs. Weiss decided. "Besides, there aren't nearly as many cars headed away from Reno as there are to Reno. It'll only take an hour."
      Laura demanded angrily, "So the second Ashley says she's hungry, we turn right around to feed her spoiled face?! Yet when I really want to go to Reno, you just make some lame excuses and--"
     Livid, Mrs. Weiss cried, "Laura! Apologize to your sister!" Ashley had started crying.
     "No, I don't think I'll apologize for telling the truth," Laura snorted disrespectfully.



I couldn't think of how to end this. Anyway, it's a pointless story, just parents arguing with their child.

--Audrey

2 comments:

  1. Haha that's really good. I can see it leading up to something more dramatic, and I want to see some more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you... Yes, I wanted something big and dramatic to happen but I wasn't sure what. Usually my best ideas come to me when I'm doing (not) my homework or not paying attention in class, so maybe I'll continue this =)

    ReplyDelete