Sunday, February 10, 2013

Book Review: Anne of Green Gables

So today I'm going to review Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery!
And happy Lunar New Year! Superstitiously, whatever you do on the New Year's Day (today) will determine how the rest of your year is spent. So hopefully this means I'll be blogging a lot :)



Book: As aforementioned, Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Genre: fiction (now, I cannot tell what books are literary fiction, mainstream fiction, etc so I'll just stick to fiction. No magic in this book).

Overall Review: This was a great book! Make sure to read the "complete and unabridged text" because this is a "classic" book and there are all sorts of condensed versions that aren't as good as the original. Anne Shirley, the main character, is a spirited and hilarious girl that has a humongous imagination, a knack for getting into sticky situations, and a poitive way of viewing things. I just devoured this book, since it was so interesting, funny, and just amazing. The descriptions of where Anne lives--the Green Gables farm on Prince Edward Island in Canada--are awesome, and now I want to visit the island, which does actually exist.
Anne and her caretakers, Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert, are all very nice people that weave an  amazing tale. When I finished the book, I felt like I was best friends with Anne--and Anne is really the kind of book character that you wish desperately you could meet.

What I didn't like: The beginning was a tiny tad slow. But after the first two or three chapters, the book gets really interesting. And since this was written a while ago, the writing style is a bit different from more modern books, but nothing that isn't understandable.

Recommended Readers: Oh, any age, really, this book has nothing inappropriate. Just for the purpose of naming an age, maybe 8 and up?


So there's my review! If you do read or have read this book, tell me in the comments or chat box how you liked it!

--Audrey

1 comment: