Thursday, February 14, 2013

Ending of the Story

I really need to get a title for this story...anyway, I posted the first 2/3 of a shortish story that is loosely influenced by The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman. I'd written yesterday and on Tuesday, so scroll down to see those posts.

And....Happy Valentine's Day!!!! :) I don't really celebrate it very much but I know the United States of America as a whole spends millions on this holiday haha.



       Completely flabbergasted, I headed out the door in a daze after Tiffany into a vast garden, which was the most peculiar thing I'd ever seen. About 100 meters in front of me was a section of the garden in which bare tree branches swayed in the howling winds, and a flurry of powdery white snow whirled about the plant life. But about 100 meters to my right, the trees were all covered in lush green foliage, with branches covered in delicate pink and purple blossoms; bright flowers in every color imaginable bloomed densely from the emerald-green grass.
       "It's the Garden of Seasons," Tiffany explained to me. "There are four sections in the garden--one section for each of the seasons: winter, spring, summer, and autumn. Come on, we have to pick one of each kind of flower. Try not to do too much damage to this garden, since the fairy princess would be outraged if we ruined all of her hard work in maintaining this place. In an hour, let's meet with all of our flowers right here, in front of the door."
       We split up, each gathering as many kinds of flowers as possible. When I entered the spring section, I was absolutely blown away; never in my life had I seen so many types of flowers before. I could name daisies, marigolds, daffodils, celosias, tulips, pansies, poppies, narcissus, petunias, liles...
       Nearly an hour later, Tiffany and I met up by the door that led to the snooty fairy's throne room. "I didn't know that many flowers could grow in winter," I remarked, seeing Tiffany's arms full of flowers like forsythia and witchhazel.
       Surveying our flower pile with a critical eye, Tiffany exclaimed, "Oh! We forgot buttercups!" and she dashed off.
       Only a few seconds had passed when I heard a terrible scream come from where Tiffany had run off to. "Tiffany!" I cried anxiously, sprinting over to her.
       When I arrived, I saw nothing dangerous. Tiffany's eyes were as large as dinner plates, and she pointed with a shaking finger at an ugly weed. I didn't see anything wrong with one weed in a humongous garden, but the weed seemed to be causing Tiffany great distress.
       "Um...what?" I asked, confused, peering at the weed to see if I was missing something.
       "The fairy princess despises weeds, and her Garden of Seasons almost never has any weeds in it, since she uses her magic to keep them out. But if she sees this weed, then she'll suspect that we planted it. Of course, she's too arrogant to ever even consider that she might have just accidentally let it in. We better pull it out," Tiffany told me in a hushed whisper, even though no one was around to hear us.
       "Okay then," I replied, still not really seeing what the big deal was. I reached over and yanked the weed out, roots and all. Tiffany and I headed back to our flower pile, which we inspected for missing flower types.
       Once we were sure we had all of the types of flowers in the fairy princess's garden, we headed back to the throne room. Tiffany held the weed carefully, so that it was completely surrounded with other flowers, making it practically invisible.
       "Your Highness, shall we test the flowers?" I asked as respectfully as possible.
       The fairy princess have a high, condescending laugh. "Sure, but you haven't done anything different than all the other girls. I suspect a failure." She held out her disguised twig-wand, which Tiffany retrieved.
       Biting back a snide remark, I split the pile of flowers in half and began the testing. I took a pansy and held it to the wand for a few seconds, but nothing happened, so I put the pansy out of the way.
       Throughout the testing, Tiffany and I were careful to keep the weed out of view from the fairy, but when we had tried almost all the flowers, the weed was no longer camoflauged from her Royal Snobbiness.
       "What is that? It's...a...a weed! You...you were planning to plant that in my garden, weren't you?! This is aboslutely outrageous...I can't believe--why, you," the fairy princess spluttered indignantly, her angry thoughts mixing up into a jumble of words.
       "Quick--she's in too much distress to do anything yet. Test the rest of the flowers!" Tiffany hissed at me, and so I obeyed immediately. But the last flower didn't work, so all I had left in my hand was the ugly weed. when I inspected in closer, I saw tiny white blossoms underneath the leaves. "Worth a try," I muttered, tapping the twig with one of the little flowers.
       "Oh my gosh...Mia!" Tiffany gasped, as the twig elongated and transformed into a sparkly, silvery-blue wand with a blue flower on the tip.
       Seeing her wand, the fairy princess was so startled that she forgot her distress about the weed. "Well, it seems you have succeeded," the fairy princess announced, trying in vain not to seem surprised. She snatched the wand, and told us, "Now I have the power to give you your regular appearance. Uncursing is much harder than cursing." She tapped me on the head and muttered a few rhyming lines under her breath.
       I felt as though little bugs were scuttling around in my body, and then I was engulfed in a cloud of flower-scented silver-blue mist. When the mist faded, Tiffany exclaimed, "Mia, you're back to normal!"
       "Thank you," the fairy princess said, making a face as though the words tasted bad in her mouth. She tapped us both on the head, and we went through the same tunnel we had fallen through earlier, but this time were rocketed upwards, and landed in Tiffany's living room.
       I glanced at the clock on the wall of the living room: 11:38 AM. With some luck, my parents might have not noticed I was gone yet.
       "Bye-see-you-later-thanks-for-all-your-help," I told Tiffany hastily, darting back out the door.
       Miraculously, my parents were still sleeping, so I pretended that nothing had happened when they did awaken.

Okay, so I really didn't know how to end that story, so there's basically no ending. Well, I hope you enjoyed, and I will very gladly take any critique!

--Audrey

6 comments:

  1. I'm confused. That seemed a bit rushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was very rushed, indeed. Sorry about that...I really do need to edit this story.

      Delete
  2. First of all, congratulations on writing such a great story! It is fantastic! There were a few misspelled words but that can be fixed easily. Near the end, it did sound rushed but the rest is just right. But it's simple to fix. You just need to take your time at the end and think up a good ending. What if the snooty fairy gave her a gift for bringing back her wand? The fairy could have given in a little and sends her a gift of thanks. what gift can it be? what would her friend, Tiffany, think about the gift? That was just an example but you can come up with a good ending. ;) You can do it! Good luck and will you be posting more stories? I really enjoyed this one. It's unique and has suspense. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'll be sure to post the revised version soon, because your advice is really helpful. Unfortunately I just cannot write story endings.
      I will be posting more stories, as long as I don't have writer's block! And thank you again.

      Delete
    2. Aww, oh my gosh you are so welcome. So happy I was of help. :D **hugs

      Good luck!

      Delete