Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Some More Writing (seriously in need of editing)

I was digging around in my old folders and stuff and stumbled upon a rather short story I had written, oh, two-ish years ago. It was supposed to be a fan fiction (I don't do those very often, but I happened to want to this time) of the awesome book The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman, which I've read like five times now. So the story didn't turn out to be a fan fiction, though if you know the book, you might be able to see the connection.
Anyway, enough with my rambling. here is the unedited first third of the terrible, horrndous story which was supposed to be a diary entry but doesn't really sound like one, so I just decided to make it a normal story. And since I didn't mention it until rather late into the story, the narrator's name is Mia.


       After over twelve years of living with my parents, I never figured out I was adopted. When I finally did learn that I didn't know who my birth parents were, it wasn't my adopted parents who told me--no, I was informed by a rich, snooty fairy princess. It all started this morning the third Saturday after my twelfth birthday...
       Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! My alarm clock screeched, pulling me out of my dreams. As I stretched my legs, I realized that I couldn't reach the backboard of my toes, even though I had been tall enough to do that for nearly two years. Well, that's odd, I thought absentmindedly.
       "Oh, no...it's Saturday! I forgot to turn off the alarm," I muttered sleepily.
       Beep! Beep! Beep! The alarm clock persisted, so I shut it off and climbed out of bed, glacing at myself in the large mirror attached to the back of the bedroom door.
       "AH!!!" I shrieked when I caught sight of my reflection.
       After I rubbed my eyes furiously, I looked back at the mirror, hoping what I had sen was just a hallucination (although I didn't really want to be hallucinating, either).
       "AH!!!" I yelled again. My hair, which was supposed to be a light brown, was coarse and black. I was about half a foot shorter and had a hunched back, which explained the confusion with my height.
       Before this morning, my face had been mostly clear of acne, but now huge, ugly warts blossomed on my nose and cheeks. My skin was not pale, like it should be, but a dark tan with a slightly greenish tinge. I made a fist and opened my fingers, finding that my skin was dry, tight, and cracked. Behind the ugly skin, black hair, and warts, you could see my terrified expression reflecting back at me in the mirror.
       I had never quite believed in magic, but I had never quite not believed in magic either. This is magic, isn't it? I thought hesitantly. I grew shorter, which is impossible at my age, and my hair and skin changed color overnight!
       Right then and there, I could have sat down and pondered about the existence of magic for hours on end, but I knew that I couldn't. Somehow, I had to get my appearance back to normal. I didn't want my parents to catch sight of me. They'd probably rush me off to the hospital, where I would have to give blood samples and receive shots, which didn't sound even remotely appealing. It was only seven AM on a Saturday morning, so I knew my parents wouldn't even begin to stir until at least ten AM.
       "Tiffany! She'll know what to do!" I announced in a triumphant whisper. There was no one else in the room, but I spoke aloud anyway. "She knows just about every single fairy tale, fable, legend, myth, and tall tale in the world. Maybe she's heard of something like this." Now that I had a plan to see my friend, I felt slightly better.
       As I didn't own a ski mask to cover my face, I just pulled the brim of a huge sun hat over my face and kept my head down. Once I tied my hair in a messy knot, I shoved it under the hat as well. I quickly put on a large sweatshirt and long jeans to hide as much of my skin as possible. Most of the people I knew probably wouldn't be out so early on a Saturday morning.
       However, I was proved wrong almost as soon as I stepped out of the door. My next-door neighbor, Mrs. Shaw, was pulling weeds out of her front yard, but had stopped when she heard me open the door.
       "Why, Mia! Hello, dear. Up so early today, aren't you? Something special going on? Why do you have a sun hat? It's so cloudy today!"
       "Umm, yeah, I have stuff to do today! Which is why I'm up so early. And...um...it might get sunny later, so I brought a hat just in case. Um...I have to go now!" I babbled, darting away.
       "Oh...okay," Mrs. Shaw replied, although I could only barely hear her. "Have a nice day," she called after me. I could hear the bewilderment in her voice, but I didn't even turn around as I hald-waved to Mrs. Shaw over my shoulder and kept running to my friend Tiffany's house.


Okay, that's all I'll put today...I'll post the rest tomorrow and Thursday!

--Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment