Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Book Review: A Girl From Yamhill

I'm going to review the first of two of Beverly Cleary's memoirs, A Girl From Yamhill! I've been pretty busy, but I managed to finish this book, and I;ve definitely been owing this review for a while now. It's a delightful and funny read that shows how Beverly Cleary lived as a young child--and how she was, in some ways, remarkably similar to her famous Ramona Quimby.

Book: A Girl From Yamhill by Beverly Clearly (genre: memoir--if that's even a genre, that is)

Rating: Hmmm...it's a really good book...4.8 stars out of 5

Overall Review: Well, the first thing I have to mention is Ms. Cleary's sense of humor. A Girl From Yamhill is witty, funny, and very enjoyable to read. It's not exactly a high-action edge-of-your-seat thriller type of book, but the memoir is interesting and holds your attention. (Well, it held my attention, at least). There are two chapters regarding Beverly's ancestors, who were pioneers. I found it really cool that her great-grandparents were some of the people that traveled bravely across the country in covered wagons.
     Another thing that I loved about this memoir was just the kind of personality young Beverly Cleary seemed to have. A Girl From Yamhill included verrryyy familiar references to children walking down streets in tin can stilts. (If you haven't read the Ramona Quimby books, Ramona, a young girl, and some of her friends liked to walk around the sidewalk on tin-can stilts) Also, it takes some serious guts, Ramona Quimby-style, to stick your finger in an electrical socket and stand up at the top of a Ferris Wheel. This memoir was filled with vivid descriptions and humorous anecdotes.
    When Beverly Cleary was a child, her life and the typical children's lifestyle are a whole lot different from today's typical child's life, and it's really awesome to read the memories of someone who remembers the "olden days" when television is not even in the picture, children are paid to write book reviews, and people ride street wagons everywhere.

Stuff I didn't like: Almost nothing, really. Chapters 2 and 3 were a little confusing for me. These are the chapters where Beverly describes her family tree. It may just be me, but I can only understand so many pages of "Person A, the daughter of Person B and Person C, married Person X, who would later give birth to my great-grandmother and her sister, Persons Y and Z." But if you read slowly, you should have no problem understanding :)

Recommended reader's age: Um, I would say anywhere from age 8 and up. I don't know.



And that concludes my review! Soon I will review Anne of Green Gables, I'm in the middle of it right now.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Now I want to read it even more. Yeah, I see what you mean. When I read the sample on Amazon.com before I bought the book, I was like "Huh?" But it does sounds so very interesting. And I remember Ramona playing with can stilts, lol! Thanks for reminding me of that one. So glad you enjoyed it. :D

    Anne of Green Gables? Ooh, I would love to find out how that book is. :) Thanks again for reviewing "A Girl from Yamhill." I really enjoyed your review. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :) Yeah, I laughed when I read the part about Beverly on can stilts since I remembered Ramona haha.

      Anne of Green Gables is fantastic so far, I'll have the review up soon! And you're welcome, I like letting people know about awesome books =D

      Delete
    2. LOL!

      Oh yay! That's a good idea. It really helps us decide if we want to buy/borrow the book or not.

      Delete