Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Story Continued

Here's the next installment of that story! I think I'll finish posting it tomorrow. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, go here.


       Once I arrived at Tiffany's house, I lifted a finger to ring the doorbell, but then I realized I might wake up Tiffany's parents. I knew that Tiffany always got up this early on weekends, so I knocked three times, relatively quietly, hoping that my friend would hear, but that I wouldn't wake anyone else up.
       "Mia, what are you doing here?" Tiffany asked as she opened the door. I looked up slowly, and she pushed back my floppy sun hat. "Oh my--what--what happened?!" Tiffany demanded, as though she couldn't quite believe her eyes--not that I blamed her.
       "I was sort of hoping you could tell me what happened," I started as Tiffany gaped at my face. "Last night I looked perfectly normal, and this morning I woke up looking like a witch! Can you think of any fairy tales that are like this?"
       Tiffany cocked her head, and I could practically hear the gears whirring in her mind. Finally, she exclaimed, "Yes! I cannot believe I didn't realize it earlier. Your last name, Millistrode! So there was this-"
       Although it was rude, I cut Tiffany off. "If this is one of your never-ending tangents about magic, can we skip the legend and proceed to the part where my appearance is normal again? Please? I really need to get home before my parents wake up."
       "Okay, okay. The legend said that if this ever happens, we should--oh, I--I'll be right back!" Leaving me puzzled on the doorstep, Tiffany darted away and I heard her backyard door open and close. She came back holding a daisy cupped carefully in both palms. Handing me the daisy, Tiffany directed, "Pluck off each petal in a counterclockwise circle starting from..." she scrutinized the daisy I held. "Starting from that petal," Tiffany finished.
       Feeling foolish, I obeyed, as Tiffany chanted something under her breath.
       To my absolute amazement, when I dropped the last daisy petal on the ground and Tiffany finished her spell, I felt the floor vanish beneath my feet. My eyes closed, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get them to open. However, although my eyelids were shut, I could still see an odd, silvery-blue mist.
       About ten seconds later, I stumbled into a room the same silvery-blue as the mist I had seen with Tiffany. The only thing not silvery-blue in the room was a snooty-looking fairy.
       She was perched on top of a golden throne that was bejeweled with many precious gemstones carved into the shapes of different flowers. The fairy wore a dress, which had a skirt made of huge rose petals, and the top of her dress seemed to be made of avocado tree leaves. Glittering, translucent wings sprouted from her back. A silvery-blue tiara was nestled atop her shiny blonde curls.
       When she caught sight of me, she snickered. "What do you want?" the fairy asked, nodding at me.
       "Um, when I woke up, I found myself looking like this, which is not at all my usual appearance. And then, um..." I glanced at Tiffany, because I didn't know why she had taken us here.
       Tiffany curtsied to the fairy and said, "Your Highness, I realized that my friend Mia Millistrode was a victim of the curse you had cast upon all the female descendants of Anna Millistrode."
       The fairy princess nodded, and with a haughty expression on her face, she explained to me, "I saved Anna Millistrode from a flood she was caught in at the age of ten. She promised she would repay me. About two years later, I insulted a witch by calling her hideous, so that blasted witch turned my wand into an ordinary stick. While I can still do magic through it, I am much less powerful. On the third Saturday after Anna Millistrode's twelfth birthday, I summoned the young girl here. The witch had told me that when I certain type of flower came in  contact with the stick, it would turn back into my wand and return me to full power. I told Anna to pick every type of flower into my garden, and uncurse my wand."
       I watched the fairy princess, dumbfounded as she continued the story. "She picked flowers for hours, but after she tested each blossom with my stick, my wand had still not returned. Anna Millistrode failed me, so I turned her into an ugly witch that closely resembled the one who had cursed my wand. Now, every female descendant of Anna Millistrode will turn into an ugly witch on the third Saturday after her twelfth birthday. Some find me, but all have failed to find the correct flower. Some girls never find out what happened, and live the rest of their life as a hideous witch. Your Mother, Miss Mia Millistrode, came here...but she didn't find the correct flower. Ashamed, your mother went into hiding. Thinking that she might be rewarded if she had a daughter that uncursed my wand, your mother gave birth to you and died a few seconds after you had been born. You were found, taken to an adoption agency, and adopted by the people you call your parents. My garden is out that door. Your friend may help you."
     

4 comments: