Monday, February 4, 2013

Some Weird Writing

A writing idea...it's really weird...but I just really wanted to post it :)
(by the way, Mr. Omweg is my English teacher)


Dear Mr. Omweg:
       I regret to inform you that my essay has been abducted by many argumentative English language monsters. You see, I was walking to school this morning with my completed essay in my backpack. All of a sudden, with no warning whatsoever, odd little creatures in even more eccentric shapes marched down the sidewalk right in front of me.
       These creatures were shaped as punctuation marks or words. A few leapt into my backpack, pulled out my essay and threw it to the ground. I had exclaimed in indignation, "Hey! I need that essay for school today!" Then I asked as politely as possible, "May I please have my essay back?"
       One of the monsters, shaped as a semicolon, nearly screamed, "Why did you use a comma here?! There are clearly two independent clauses--meaning you should have used a semicolon!!" The semicolon monster picked up a comma off the page and ate it. It then stamped itself on my page, leaving a semicolon printed neatly in place of the eaten comma.
       "We are the grammar monsters. So pleased to meet your acquaintance," an exclamation mark greeted with a heavy British accent, bowing deeply.
       "ACK!" came a shriek from a monster shaped as the word 'spelling.' "How could you?! Everyone knows that necessary has one collar and two sleeves--one 'c' and two 's'! Why in the world did you use two 'c' and one 's'? Do you mean to tell me you've seen a shirt with two collars and one sleeve?" Spelling demanded, glaring at me furiously. "And you spelled receive wrong. I before e except after c, unless saying 'ay' as in neighbor or weigh! This essay is atrocious, I do declare!"
       The grammar monster named Appositive stormed up to me. "No commas," he fumed as though he couldn't quite believe it. "All those appositives and not a single comma! This is an outrage!"
       Angry grammar monsters shouted at me as they fixed my mistakes. Participle, one of the largest monsters, cried, "Do you know how many dangling participles you have? Seriously, I haven't seen a worse essay in my life!"
       Preposition, another one of the larger grammar monsters had told me, "You can't ever end a sentence with me, oh, never!" The Preposition fainted when it saw that my prepositional phrase didn't end with a noun.
       All of the grammar monsters were so angry with me that they pounced upon my essay and carried it off so that they could fix the "despicable mess of revolting grammar errors."
       So I might not have my essay today, Mr. Omweg sir, but see, this encounter with the grammar monsters has a benefit. cuz won Thing iz 4 shore: i aint never gonna 4get mine grammars Rulez everr uhgain.
                                                                                      Your student,
                                                                                      Audrey Jones


And that's my writing idea. It's very short, and needs a lot of work, but I wanted to have some writing as this is a writing blog and all. Please tell me what could be improved!

--Audrey

2 comments: